You are reading this file from

* Forwarded from "Fidonet UFO Conference"

* Originally by Errol Bruce-knapp

* Originally to All

* Originally dated 23 Jul 1994, 11:30


The following posts are the first three parts of 'The Carp Case',

published in the March, May & July 1994 issues of


All correspondence should be addressed to:

Victor Lourenco - Provincial Director, MUFON Ontario

3058 Fifth Line W. #7

Mississaugua, Ontario, L5L 5W4


The Carp Case - The MUFON Ontario Version - Part 1.

Tom Theofanous was an investigator with CUFORN, in Toronto, from

1987 to 1992. He and his wife, Lise, have been with MUFON Ontario

since then. Tom is now Deputy Director of MUFON Ontario, in Toronto.

This case has had much coverage in the media. Tabloid television

shows like 'Unsolved Mysteries', 'Sightings' and 'Encounters' have

given it much air-time, as have cable-tv stations all over North


Internationally, magazines newspapers and news-letters have

devoted hundreds of pages to it and UFO conferences around the planet

have intrigued many thousands of attendees with it's seemingly

startling details.

'Carp' has achieved 'One Of The Most Significant Cases In UFO

History' status. You've probably heard, seen and read about it


In this and succeeding issues we'll deal with the FACTS of the

case. We'll describe the events, as told by the media and as we've

experienced them - and we'll try not appear too judgemental.

Beginnings - 1989

Tom Theofanous, working with The Canadian UFO Research Network

(CUFORN), received a package from someone calling themselves

'Guardian'. It had no return address.

"The package contained a story about a UFO crash that supposedly

happened close to Carlton Place, which is about a half-hour drive from

Ottawa", Tom said. "There was also a photo-copied picture of an


"For the most part, we thought it was a joke. But, CUFORN

director Harry Tokarz decided to call Arthur Bray, a well-respected UFO

author and researcher who lives in Ottawa, and ask him if he had

someone in the Carlton area who could check out the story for us. As

luck would have it, Arthur knew a fellow who was fascinated by the

field of ufology, Graham Lightfoot."

Graham, with what was to become typical thoroughness, used the

somewhat sketchy co-ordinates he got from Arthur Bray to not only

pinpoint the 'UFO crash-site' near Manion Corners, but also locate a

number of witnesses.

One of those witnesses, Diane Labanek, claimed that on the night

of November 4th 1989, she saw an intense, bright light pass overhead,

heading towards a swamp at the far end of the field behind and south of

her home. She said she also saw several helicopters earlier that

evening using bright lights to scan the area.

Another West Carlton resident recalled that that was the weekend

when some cattle escaped from a nearby pasture and that it took till

late Sunday to round them up.

A couple told Graham about the wife being scared by a very bright

light shone through their south-facing bathroom window. "It reached

right down our hallway!". The wife also mentioned that she vaguely

remembered hearing the sound of helicopters at the time.

Others talked of "dogs and cattle being disturbed".

Many people could think of absolutely nothing unusual happening

during the course of the weekend, including a couple who had a

telescope set-up.

Graham reported those findings to CUFORN, along with results of

his examination of the field and swamp behind Labanek's home - there

were no signs on the ground, anywhere, of the heavy equipment that

would be needed to recover a 'crashed craft'.

His report closed with, "although I could find nothing conclusive

to support or disprove any of the witnesses claims. I shall check back

around the area later this summer."

The same Guardian material had been sent to several other

investigators, researchers and UFO groups and as the story spread, both

the former Provincial Director of MUFON Ontario Clive Nadin, and the

current Quebec Director Christian Page, visited the area on separate

occasions, and spoke to the 'witnesses'. They confirmed Graham

Lightfoot's initial findings and agreed with Tom & Harry at CUFORN that

someone was "trying to put us on - a hoax!"

Guardian re-surfaces - 1991

In the middle of October 1991 CUFORN began receiving more Guardian

'information' via the mail and all postmarked 'Ottawa'.

An envelope with some documents that mention a 'conspiracy'

between the Chinese and 'Grey Aliens that are planning to take over

the world', arrived first. Then came a Polaroid photograph of a 'UFO'

flying across an unidentified road. A while later came a black & white

picture of a grey-type 'Alien'.

The fourth delivery in the series was a package. It contained

the now infamous VHS video tape with a green label on the cassette,

with a thumb print and the word GUARDIAN printed on the label.

There were also three playing cards in the package, all with hand

written notes on them - an Ace, King and Joker.

A photo-copied map showed the 'Grey's landing area', along with

notes explaining that the flares in the video were used to help the

UFO, which can out maneuver anything on the planet, fly under the

radar and know where to land!

There were also 'Canadian Department of National Defense

documents' enclosed - which, upon later investigation, proved to be


These 'documents', it is thought, were designed to look like the

official documents on UFOs that Canadian UFO author/researcher Stanton

Friedman acquired, via 'The Freedom of Information Act', from the

United States Government.

The video - a few minutes long - showed two different angles of

what Guardian alleges was an 'alien craft', on the ground.

First, a long shot of bright lights clumped together to the right

of the scene and what looked like four red emergency road flares or

fires in barrels on the left side of the screen.

The second scene showed the same clump of bright lights from

approximately the same distance but more to the centre without any

flares and the sound of a single dog barking in the distance.

The third scene was only three frames long and was a close-up of a

a pair of wipers half-way across a very Earth-bound vehicle!

CUFORN pondered what to do with all the Guardian information that

arrived in October of '91 and decided, that in view of the season -

winter, that they would hold off visiting Carlton until after the

spring run-off.

Enter Oechsler

At the beginning of March '92, Bob Oechsler (pronounced Bob Ex-ler)

an American MUFON investigator - who describes himself a 'former NASA

mission specialist' - called CUFORN from his home in Maryland.

Apparently, he too had received a video and documents from

Guardian, although when comparisons of the two videos were discussed,

his had an additional scene - a somewhat closer one minute shot of the

'alien craft'.

His version also had a couple of minutes worth of the windshield,

plus several still shots of the 'Grey Aliens'.

The most important difference, however, was that his version of

the tape had no audio-track at all - "it seems it was intentionally

removed", says Tom Theofanous.

Oechsler had shown the tape to Bruce Macabbee and they agreed that

what they saw was a UFO and should be investigated further - and that's

why Oechsler called Tom at CUFORN. They agreed they would meet in

Carlton, Ontario on May 10th 1992.

Tom then called and spoke with Graham Lightfoot, for the first

time, and Graham agreed to act as guide for the May meeting.

It transpired that Graham worked for The O.F.A - The Ontario

Federation of Agriculture - and knew the Carlton area and its farmers


The First Visit

On May 10th, Mother's Day, 1991, Torontonians, Tom & Lise

Theofanous, Victor Lourenco, Vaughn [LAST NAME?], Drew Williamson,

Harry Tokarz and Wayne St. John met with Oechsler, his son and Graham

Lightfoot at the motel the Oechslers were staying at in West Carlton,

near Ottawa, Ontario.

They all had breakfast together as Oechsler told many, many

fascinating stories. Eventually they ended up in Oechsler's motel

room to compare their copies of the Guardian video.

"Oechsler, despite being an expert in video analysis, had a great

deal of difficulty connecting my video camera up to the tv set in his

room so that we could play back the Guardian videos. In retrospect,

his combination of technical ineptness and more story telling seemed to

be a stalling tactic", said Tom.



Michael Corbin - via ParaNet node 1:104/422

UUCP: !scicom!paranet!User_Name

INTERNET: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG


Inquiries regarding ParaNet, or mail directed to Michael Corbin, should

be sent to: Or you can phone voice at 303-429-2654/

Michael Corbin


ParaNet Information Services

>From alt.paranet.ufo Sun Aug 7 16:56:05 1994


From: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Corbin)

Newsgroups: alt.paranet.ufo

Subject: Carp - Part 02/05

Message-ID: <7801.2E42CC84@paranet.FIDONET.ORG>

Date: 5 Aug 94 23:10:00 GMT

Sender: ufgate@paranet.FIDONET.ORG (newsout1.26)

Organization: FidoNet node 1:104/428.0 - Lines: 212

* Forwarded from "Fidonet UFO Conference"

* Originally by Errol Bruce-knapp

* Originally to All

* Originally dated 23 Jul 1994, 11:31


[continues - post 02]

They stopped at a spot off Highway 7 near Manion Corners and

Graham pointed out the direction from which the 1989 'UFO' had come

when it 'crashed', and where the Labanek's house was in relation to

where the group was standing.

Oechsler seemed to be stalling once more, shooting video of


Finally, they set off again.

"This time Oechsler took the lead, with me following him and

Graham who's supposed to be our guide following me!" Tom says. "I

thought at the time that this was pretty odd. How did Oechsler, who

supposedly had never been to Canada, let alone this area before, know

his way, using side-roads and making the correct turns toward our


Earlier, Oechsler had asked the Toronto group to check for

anomalies on their compasses while they were driving, because the

Guardian papers described magnetic changes in certain parts of the area

the group was travelling in.

"So, we're driving down a small hill when Oechsler braked suddenly

up ahead of us, stopped and came back to our car to tell me that he had

found an anomaly on his two compasses", Tom recounts, "now, he had both

of his laying in the back of his pick-up on the metal floor where they

were bouncing around. His son was keeping an eye on them from the

cab. I told him that the three compasses, we were holding in the palms

of our hands, in our car didn't waver at all. But, he insisted that

he'd go back up the hill, by himself, and check again."

While the rest of the group stood around waiting for Oechsler,

Drew Williamson noticed a Stop-sign at the end of a long driveway

leading to an abandoned farmhouse with a For-Sale sign on it.

Tom continues - "I looked through my binoculars at the Stop-sign

and saw that it was propped up by rocks. There were other signs

around it that read 'Do Not Enter' and 'DND Killing Fields'. The last

one had pictographs of tanks, helicopters and weapons on it and

appeared to be riddled with bullet-holes.

"So, out of curiosity, we went over to the signs and looked more


"We found tracks left by cars and what might have been four-

wheeled vehicles, leading into the property. We felt that perhaps the

field around the old farm house was being used for 'War Games' - or

maybe even was the location used for the Guardian video."

"Why? Because the terrain was perfect - lots (200 acres) of open

field. I also noticed a dog barking up at the house at the top of the

hill." said Tom.

This would become significant later in identifying the possible

location of the Guardian video shoot.

"Eventually, we continued along Corkery Road. But, when I

mentioned to Oechsler that we should be interviewing the people in the

neighbourhood we were passing, who were out sitting in their front

gardens or working on their lawns, he insisted that we look for the

'crash' or 'landing' sites."

Guardian's map described an area about one and a quarter miles

square, which consisted of dense, knee-high scrub, and wet, swampland.

The group headed toward it, using a path beneath high-tension

power transmission lines that cut across below the southern end of the

Labanek's property.

Most of them had great difficulty with the rough conditions and

became very tired, annoyed by biting mosquitoes and soaked by the

swampy ground. They gave about a half way into the swamp and headed

back to the back to the parking lot.

Tom picks up the story again: "Bob and his son continued to look

for the landing site as the rest of us left the swamp in a couple of

different groups. Lise, Drew, Wayne and I left first and drove off

looking for a drink of cold pop."

"When we got back to the parking lot twenty minutes later, the

second group out had left a note on our windshield saying they'd meet

us at a restaurant twenty minutes away in Carp. We left a note on the

Oechsler's truck windshield telling them where we'd be.

"The first of our group to arrive at the restaurant ordered their

food and twenty minutes later the rest of us arrived and placed our


"Thirty minutes later, as Oechsler and his son were walking

through the door, I jokingly said: I bet he'll say he found the spot!"

"As he sat down, I asked him what had happened. He smiled and

said he'd found the spot."

"I asked how he'd managed to do that when we'd left him a about a

mile from his car in a dense swamp halfway to the alleged site and it

was getting dark. There simply hadn't been enough time to get there

examine the 'site' and get back out to his truck and drive to the

restaurant. He just smiled, but didn't answer."

After they finished their dinner, Drew, Victor and Vaughn decided

to leave for Toronto.

Graham suggested that the remainder should go talk to the

Labanek, and he and Harry left ahead of Tom & Lise and the Oechslers,

since Oechsler senior was still eating. The seven of them would meet

at the corner by the Labaneks.

"Lise, Wayne and I confronted Oechsler out in the parking lot,

where the three of us had gone to discuss the days events privately."

"I asked him what he was trying to pull here. He responded by

asking "what's wrong with trying to make a buck?", I answered that

there was nothing wrong with making money as long as we didn't

compromise our ethics."

"Oechsler came back with: "No matter what or how good the story

is, 50% of the people will believe you, 50% wont. All you have to

care about is the 50% that will".

"It was at that point", recalls Tom, "that I decided to back away

from the investigation for a while to see what Oechsler would do."

They joined the others at Manion Corner by the Labaneks house -

Graham had knocked on their door but there was no one home. So, they

waited, enjoying a pleasant early summer evening, talking.

The Labaneks didn't get home till after 10 p.m, which the group

felt was late to do an interview. Graham and Oechsler would come back

the next morning and talk to them

Tom finishes up this part of the story: "I told Graham about the

conversation that I had in the parking lot of the restaurant with

Oechsler, after he left the restaurant. Then Lise, Harry, Wayne and I

left for Toronto, shaking our heads."

End of Part One.

The Carp Case - The MUFON Ontario Version - Part 2.***

*The following morning, Graham Lightfoot, Oechsler and his son met

and drove to the Labanek's home at Manion Corners near Carp, Ontario.

Graham reintroduced himself and asked Diane Labanek if she remembered

him. "Vaguely" she said, and then remembered their conversation about

a bright light that had headed towards the swamp at the bottom of her

field back in 1990.

*When asked if she had seen anything strange since then, she

described an event that happened in their field. It seems she was

putting her children to bed one night in August 1991 and something

caught here eye from the second floor bedroom.

*Labanek described seeing what she thought was a fire, or perhaps

flares burning at the far end of the field behind the house and as she

watched, a 'craft' landed next to the fire/flares. "After a few

minutes, maybe five or eight, the very bright lights on the craft went

out - just like you turn off a light-bulb. And soon after, the flares

went out. Then some minutes later, a helicopter came and hovered over

the area - like they were looking for something" she said.

*When she was asked later why she hadn't called the fire

department about a 'fire' burning in her field, which was tinder dry

in the August heat, she replied "I didn't think that anyone would

believe and I thought I'd get into trouble!"

*On Oechsler's next visit to the Labanek's, she was asked to draw

what she had seen. She drew a craft that she described as being

silver/grey, with a zigzag design around it, sitting on three blocks

which, coincidently, matched a drawing that was in one of the Guardian

packages (see MUFON Ontario Newsletter, Volume 1.1, page 14) - a

drawing that she maintained she'd never seen.

*Labanek was able to see an object and details that were over 2200

feet away in the dark and brightly lit from the bottom up. Guardian's

video camera, which was closer, couldn't see the 'thunderbolt

insignia' around the 'craft' or the three 'blocks' beneath the craft.

The video clearly shows the 'craft' to be red and not silver/grey.


*In the version of Guardians video that was sent to CUFORN, the

Canadian UFO Research Network, the last three frames show a windshield

with the wiper blades in an upright position. Why would Guardian put

those frames that appear to have been shot at night with artificial

light, on the tape? Were those frames designed to give a clue as to

what the craft really was?



Michael Corbin - via ParaNet node 1:104/422

UUCP: !scicom!paranet!User_Name

INTERNET: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG


Inquiries regarding ParaNet, or mail directed to Michael Corbin, should

be sent to: Or you can phone voice at 303-429-2654/

Michael Corbin


ParaNet Information Services

>From alt.paranet.ufo Sun Aug 7 16:56:05 1994


From: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Corbin)

Newsgroups: alt.paranet.ufo

Subject: Carp - Part 03/05

Message-ID: <7802.2E42CC84@paranet.FIDONET.ORG>

Date: 5 Aug 94 23:10:00 GMT

Sender: ufgate@paranet.FIDONET.ORG (newsout1.26)

Organization: FidoNet node 1:104/428.0 - Lines: 211

* Forwarded from "Fidonet UFO Conference"

* Originally by Errol Bruce-knapp

* Originally to All

* Originally dated 23 Jul 1994, 11:33


[continues - post 03]

*In the course of one of many discussions between the

investigators, Tom Theofanous asked Oechsler what he thought about the

windshield footage on Guardian's video. Oechsler replied that it

wasn't a windshield but rather the design on the side of the 'craft'.

Tom asked how he'd come to that conclusion? Oechsler replied "Well

there's Diane's evidence together with my expertise in analysis -

that's how."

*Oechsler had once again brought up his 'qualifications and

expertise', which he seemingly did and still does at the drop of a

hat. Unfortunately, Oechsler's qualifications on the subject of

windshields were definitely non-existent when compared to Tom's - he's

been running a windshield repair company for the past seven years!



*Oechsler and Graham went out to the field after their first talk

with Diane Labanek. The previous night, at a restaurant, Oechsler had

claimed that he had found the 'landing site' and now insisted that

they look for 'evidence'. He spotted an area of grass that had been

"dug up during the landing". Graham, who works for the Ontario

Federation of Agriculture, patiently explained that skunks caused that

kind of damage while looking for grubs.

*Oechsler's biography touts his experience in dealing with the UFO

phenomenon and his expertise in 'field work', an expertise not on

display that day. "He seemed not to know what he was looking for or

anything much about country nature" Graham observed later.

*Oechsler's inexperience continued to make to show as he pointed

to vegetation that had "been treated with microwave radiation"! How

did he come to that conclusion without using any instruments? "It's

very dry and brittle, so it's obviously been irradiated" Oechsler



*The 'irradiated' plants were Juniper bushes that always look that

way after a Canadian winter - bleached, dried and flattened by heavy

snow, probably in much the same way as in Maryland, Oechsler's

home-state .

*Graham and Oechsler continued to examine what Oechsler was

convinced was the landing site. He then asked Graham if he had

anything to put samples in. Graham thought that it was extremely odd

that an investigator of Oechsler's 'calibre' would show up with no

sample containers and handed over some empty film canisters for

Oechsler's samples.

*On returning to Labanek's house later that day, Labanek told them

that her husband Bill had "gone for milk" at around 10:00pm on the

evening of the 'landing' and had missed it. Bill Labanek had been

doing a 'milk-run' on the night in 1989 when there had been a 'crash'

in their swamp.

*He didn't seem to be at all concerned about what had transpired

on his property on either occasion. He didn't bother to take the time

to go look at the spot which his wife said had been a 'UFO landing


*Diane Labanek claims to have gone only part way into the field

the day after the 'landing', looked briefly in the direction of the

'landing site', didn't see anything, and walked back to the house.

*She had told no one about what she saw that night until Graham

and Oechsler asked her about it.

*Why didn't she walk the remaining couple of hundred yards to where

this 'amazing event' took place? She says that it was a beautiful

summer evening too.

*That evening Graham called Tom in Toronto and recounted the days

events. They discussed Oechsler and his amateurish approach to the

investigation and observed that a pattern seemed to be emerging. It

seemed that Oechsler was incompetent, egocentric and attempting to

steer the case and its facts to fit in with his own agenda.


*As a follow-up to Diane Labanek's assertions about helicopter

activity following the 'landing', Investigator Drew Williamson called

the Department of National Defence (DND) on May 12, 1992. He was told

that the military held exercises every August using helicopters and

that they had to get permission from landowners for the choppers to

land in their fields. If an emergency were to arise and a helicopter

had to land DND would pay compensation for any damage caused.

*On July 12, 1992, Graham made a number of calls to various

military establishments to get information on helicopter activity. He

was told that they don't use flares during landings at night, but do

use Chem-Sticks that glow in the dark. Captain Mark Bigoutte said

that although choppers were on exercise on August 19, 1991, they were

many miles to the west of Manion Corners.

** ***

*On July 14, 1992 Oechsler arrived back at Graham's place and the

next day they went to Uplands Royal Canadian Airforce base and showed

Colonel Cajo Brando and Major Norm Patterson the Guardian video - over

and over.

*Colonel Brando didn't think it was a helicopter and when shown a

photograph taken by one of the Labanek children of a Huey Helicopter

that Diane Labanek maintained had 'buzzed' their home after the

'landing', he said, "It's not one ours, they were decommissioned

(taken out of active-service) two years ago."

*Brando suggested that it may have been an American chopper that

had come across the border without notifying Canadian authorities -

something which, apparently, happens often.

*Later that day, Graham and Oechsler returned to the Labanek's and

collected some fifteen soil and plant samples from the supposed

'landing' site. On a radio call-in show, March 30th '93, Oechsler

claimed to have collected "over a hundred samples from all over the



*Oechsler, in a conversation with Graham and Tom expressed

interest in getting the case on the 'Unsolved Mysteries' tv show,

feeling that it might flush Guardian out. Tom countered that it

might be better to further investigate the claims of the 'witnesses'

before giving the case national tv exposure.

*What neither Tom nor Graham knew at the time, was that Oechsler

had already gone ahead and made a deal with Unsolved Mysteries to

shoot a segment on the Carp Case in the fall.


*In the following three months preparations were made for the

shooting of the 'Unsolved' segment with Graham received many calls from

and eventually met the tv show's Bob Kiviat and Bob Wise.


*Oechsler flew into Ottawa in mid October 1992 with the 'Unsolved'

crew and interviewed Major Patterson about the Guardian 'Documents'.

*Graham, feeling as he did about Oechsler's 'slant' on the case

was very reluctant to appear on the show and it took many calls from

various production people to eventually talk him into appearing.

*On November 15, 1992 participants in the Carp segment gathered at

General Assembly for the taping. Graham met Bruce Macabbee for the

first time and, to use his words, "was not very impressed." He put

his contribution 'in the can' the next day at the Labanek's.


*In the course of a meeting on November 19, 1992 Graham learned

that a man named Andy Williams claimed that he knew who Guardian was.

Graham and Oechsler arranged to meet with Williams the next day in

Ottawa. Andy Williams explained that a friend of many years, Bobby

Charlebois, had an on-going interest in UFOs and had called himself

'Guardian' over the course of those years. He went on to give

details about Bobby Charlebois and his 'interests'.

*Oechsler, inexplicably, gave Andy Williams much material

regarding the Carp case.

*On November 22nd, Graham discovered that a co-worker knew Bobby

Charlebois well - his sister, Meg had dated the Guardian 'suspect'.

Graham talked with Meg and she confirmed that Charlebois was an avid

UFO buff and had discussed the phenomenon on many occasions in the


*Despite having signed an 'exclusive' with Unsolved Mysteries to

not do another show until 30 days after their 'airing' of the Carp

Case, Oechsler records a segment for 'Sightings' in January of 1993

without telling Graham until after the fact.

*Interestingly, Dr. A.J. Quarington a 'witness' participates in

'Sightings' after refusing meet or even discuss the case with Graham

and Clive Nadin (the former Director of MUFON Ontario) in the early

stages of the investigation.


*On February 1, 1993 Oechsler and Graham meet with reporter Lois

Tuffin, who also knows Bobby Charlebois well. Oechsler asked her to

deliver a large package of UFO material to Charlebois in the hopes of

getting his fingerprints. She did so, but the package was returned to

her an hour later.

*The following day Oechsler collected the package from Lois and

took it to the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) to have it checked for

fingerprints. There were none and the feeling was that Charlebois had

out-smarted them, wiping the package clean. It seems that Charlebois

has something to hide.



Michael Corbin - via ParaNet node 1:104/422

UUCP: !scicom!paranet!User_Name

INTERNET: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG


Inquiries regarding ParaNet, or mail directed to Michael Corbin, should

be sent to: Or you can phone voice at 303-429-2654/

Michael Corbin


ParaNet Information Services

>From alt.paranet.ufo Sun Aug 7 16:56:05 1994


From: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Corbin)

Newsgroups: alt.paranet.ufo

Subject: Carp - Part 04/05

Message-ID: <7803.2E42CC84@paranet.FIDONET.ORG>

Date: 5 Aug 94 23:10:00 GMT

Sender: ufgate@paranet.FIDONET.ORG (newsout1.26)

Organization: FidoNet node 1:104/428.0 - Lines: 211

* Forwarded from "Fidonet UFO Conference"

* Originally by Errol Bruce-knapp

* Originally to All

* Originally dated 23 Jul 1994, 11:35


[continues - post 04]

*Diane Labanek, on hearing Bobby Charlebois name said that she had

known him "for a while" and that he was a good friend who visited


*Oechsler asked her to try and get Charlebois' fingerprints from

any drinking glasses that he might use. Labanek claimed that

Charlebois always wiped them clean.

End of Part Two.

The Carp Case - The MUFON Ontario Version - Part 3.


*On February 4, 1993 Graham and Oechsler went to the Labanek's

where Leanne Cuzak interviewed Bob Oechsler and Diane Labanek for

CJOH-TV, Ottawa.

*During this interview Labanek claimed that "a lot of others had

seen the event that had transpired in my field". She didn't, however,

seem to recall any names and in talking to many residents in the

Manion Corner area, MUFON Ontario has not been able to find any other

witnesses to the 'UFO Landing'.

*During the CJOH-TV interview that day Oechsler also claimed that

he too had received a large number of calls from 'witnesses'. Graham

wasn't aware of any calls to the Labanek's or anywhere else other than

a few to Oechsler's hotel.

*Later that day, Graham Lightfoot and Oechsler met with a couple

of high school girls in Almonte, a short drive from the Labanek's.

They had called the Unsolved Mysteries Hotline, which again Graham

wasn't aware of, to report that they knew who Guardian was. The name

they gave wasn't Charlebois'. Oechsler told them who Guardian was.

Oechsler, despite avowing not to, was blowing Guardian's cover'.

*On February 24, 1993, Labanek told Graham and Oechsler about a

sighting that her mother had the previous week. Her mother had seen a

'craft' hovering "not fifty feet from the house" but was too scared at

the time to call out to anybody.

*Later Labanek claimed that her husband saw a 'craft' around the

same spot as the August '91 sighting. There were no explanations as

to when or if there were any traces of this second 'landing'.

*Apparently, neither of these 'incidents' were of interest to

Oechsler and he has only mentioned them very briefly since and only in


*If these two events were 'real' why wouldn't he have investigated

them too, instead of making such a fuss about the 'evidence' that he'd

found nine months after the August '91 'landing'? Labanek's mother's

and husband's 'experiences' would have surely produced more witnesses

and ground effects?!

*Labanek has constantly complained about being harassed by

'low-flying' helicopters that blew shingles off her roof. When close

neighbours were questioned by MUFON Ontario investigators about any

low-flying choppers they might have observed, they only mentioned the

regular Air Ambulance flights that passed overhead and the occasional

military or Mountie aircraft. Not one mentioned choppers flying at

unusually low altitudes - below the regulation five-hundred feet.

*At the time of describing her mother's 'sighting' to Graham and

Oechsler, Labanek told of a white helicopter that passed over the

house the following day. Subsequent investigation showed that it was

a NATO aircraft on a training-exercise and that it too would not have

been flying below the standard five-hundred foot level.

*Due to the proximity of the Labanek's neighbours it would be

impossible for a helicopter to fly low enough to blow the shingles off

one house and not be noticed by the residents of neighbouring houses.

*Labanek had told Graham that she knew nothing about UFOs, nor did

she care about them or talk about them with anyone. And yet, when the

Unsolved Mysteries show was being taped at her home, one of the

'grips' on the crew setting up a scene (in which Guardian was mailing

a video) in Labanek's basement recreation room, found "cupboards

containing many UFO books".

*On February 28, 1993 Graham wrote the following to Bob Kiviat,

*producer of the Unexplained Mysteries segment on 'Guardian'.



**Bob Kiviat, Producer

**Cosgrove/ Meurer Productions


*Dear Bob,

**No doubt you've heard from Oechsler that there has been

*another sighting at Labanek's... on Feb 17th '93. It was

*Diane's mother who saw the event at 11:10 pm, very close to

*the house. She was so frightened that she didn't call to

*Diane and no one else saw it. She said the craft was right

*over the garden which means it was within 50 feet of the

*house. It hovered there for a short while and moved south

*over the swamp, in the direction that the 1989 'crash' light

*was seen. It came back beside the house and then moved off

*out of sight over the swamp. She described it as having a

*flashing light on top and lots of light all around it. She

*pulled the curtains from the window, but didn't wake anyone

*else in the house. The next day a white helicopter arrived

*and flew over the same course.

**Oechsler may or may not have told you he is working

*with the RCMP in trying to get Guardian's (Bobby

*Charlesbois) fingerprints. He tells me he is trying to get

*the RCMP to charge Bobby with a minor charge of forging DND

*documents to scare him into an admission. This is contrary

*to Oechsler's stated intent to Bobby, of not disclosing

*Bobby's identity if he wished to remain anonymous.


**I am trusting you to keep my comments to you in

**confidence from Oechsler as I will no doubt be working with

**him again on this case. I have no problem working with him

**at arms length, but his methods and rather chaotic behavior

**bothers me. He has told me that he wants to set up a

**24-hours a day, two week watch at the the Labanek's since he

**feels the sightings will re-occur in the near future. He

**has no funding for this operation and told me he will seek

**help from your company in this regard.


* **This may all be a good idea, but my feeling is that

**these things will run their course, with or without 24-hour

**surveillance. In fact I'd hazard a guess that the event is

**less likely to occur with surveillance.


***I've heard through the grapevine that the 'expert' on

**the Sightings show claims he doesn't know who Oechsler is,

**never met him. It seems Sightings showed the tape to this

**'expert' and he said he didn't know what it was. Also

**MUFON is distancing itself from Oechsler after their

**credibility suffered with the Gulf Breeze story. It seems

**Oechsler wants to speak at their annual meeting and they

**don't want him there.


***Oechsler has a lot of background information and he

**certainly has a lot of contacts that are invaluable in doing

**research of this nature. He is persistent in looking for

**evidence, yet at the same time he often tries to build a

**case to fit his preconceived story line.


***This bothers me.


***We have talked about his ego and wanting credit for

**everything he learns. That's OK by me. In the Labanek

**case he used a lot of material that I got for him. The show

**implied that he found Labanek's place from the Guardian map.

**He could have spent weeks looking for the location on his



***But what bothers me the most is his tunnel vision, that

**only he can find the answers.


******- Graham Lightfoot


*On March 4, '93, Oechsler phoned Graham to boast that he had

asked the RCMP to apply pressure the Guardian suspect, Bobby

Charlebois, by charging him with forging Department of National

Defence documents.

*In actual fact, the only way the RCMP would have paid any

attention would have been if a formal complaint was filed by a

Canadian Citizen.

*What Oechsler didn't tell Graham was that a complaint was lodged

by the Labaneks who told the RCMP that they were being 'harassed' by

helicopters flying over their property, below the 500 feet minimum set

by the Federal Government.

*March 8, brought a call from Labanek to Graham. She complained

about being 'harassed' by the RCMP. She said that they tried to get

her to sign a 'confession' ( her word ) that craft she saw landing in

her field on the night of August 18, 1991 was a helicopter! She

also claimed that Bobby 'Guardian' Charlebois was also being

'harassed' by the Mounties and had hired a lawyer.

*Graham, at the time, was convinced that Labanek was telling the

truth and felt that something should be done about her complaints. He

called Charlie Greenwell at CJOH-TV in Ottawa and suggested that

perhaps the station could cover the story on their local news. A

report aired three days later on the 6 O'clock News.

*CJOH-TV's news item infuriated Oechsler. On March 29, he blasted

Graham for giving the story to a TV station. This puzzled Graham -

why would Oechsler take exception to him helping Labanek expose RCMP




Michael Corbin - via ParaNet node 1:104/422

UUCP: !scicom!paranet!User_Name

INTERNET: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG


Inquiries regarding ParaNet, or mail directed to Michael Corbin, should

be sent to: Or you can phone voice at 303-429-2654/

Michael Corbin


ParaNet Information Services

>From alt.paranet.ufo Sun Aug 7 16:56:05 1994


From: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Corbin)

Newsgroups: alt.paranet.ufo

Subject: Carp - Part 05/05

Message-ID: <7804.2E42CC85@paranet.FIDONET.ORG>

Date: 5 Aug 94 23:10:00 GMT

Sender: ufgate@paranet.FIDONET.ORG (newsout1.26)

Organization: FidoNet node 1:104/428.0 - Lines: 117

* Forwarded from "Fidonet UFO Conference"

* Originally by Errol Bruce-knapp

* Originally to All

* Originally dated 23 Jul 1994, 11:37



[continues - post 05]

*What Graham didn't know was that the complaint to the Mounties

was lodged by the Labaneks, apparently at the urging of Oechsler, to

increase the credibility of the Carp Case.


A censored copy of the RCMP report on the case, obtained by

Christian Page of The Mutual UFO Network (MufoN) in Quebec, told a

different story.

*The Labanek's complaint was actually filed with the RCMP on

February 10, 1993! The purpose of the investigation was to:

[Quote from RCMP Report ]

*1.*ascertain if sufficient evidence was available to support a

**prosecution under the Aeronautics Act, Section 534 (2) (b)

**for flying below 500 feet


*2. *ascertain if in fact the object observed was an aircraft


*3.*ascertain if the craft observed (by complainant) is a UFO

**(as per complainant).

[End Quote]

*The investigation by RCMP Constable De Haitre, started on

February 15, 1993 with interviews of the Labanek's neighbours.

*De Haitre found that signs bearing the words 'Defence Canada',

'Killing Fields', and a 'Test Area' sign with a hand-painted tank and

'Air-Wolf' helicopter on it had been seen in a field that later proved

to be owned by the Labanek's. Const. De Haitre observed in his report

that the lettering-style on the signs was similar to those in the

Guardian documents.

*Constable De Haitre was told by one of the Labaneks neighbours

that another sign had the word 'Nuclear' mis-spelled as 'Nucleear'.

*Oechsler then directed his energies toward De Haitre and Canadian

Airforce Major Patterson - which created more confusion.

*Oechsler told Constable De Haitre about finding Titanium at the

'landing site' in the Labanek's field and showed him some of the

photographs that he had taken. He also told De Haitre that there were

no traces of Strontium, which there would have been had the flares at

the 'site' been of the military 'high-heat', type.

*Later, in the February/March issue of UFO Library Magazine,

Oechsler wrote that he "had the smoking-gun in the pyrotechnical

mystery". He now claimed that there was evidence of Lithium Carbonate

which is not used in military flares, but rather in "expensive

fireworks displays" (or perhaps in roadside emergency flares?).

Fireworks that, of course, can be purchased at any 7-11 Store.

*Isn't it strange that he would wait a whole year to tell the

world the results of his 'tests'?

*Oechsler had results of a test that refuted his completely baseless

theory about military flares being used at the Carp 'landing site' and

didn't publish them for over a year?

*And what did he do during that time? He travelled the lecture

circuit making money telling people that the flares were definitely

military in origin because of the strontium residue that he didn't

find at the 'landing site'!

*Oechsler tried to cement his relationship with the RCMP. He told

Constable De Haitre about his 'witnesses' and his 'analysis' of the

Guardian video and suggested that Bobby 'Guardian' Charlebois be

charged under the 'Fraudulent Cheque Act' for distributing forged

Government documents (the 'Canadian Department of National Defence'

documents). De Haitre concluded that no charges could be laid.

*De Haitre investigated Oechsler's claims about Titanium and

Strontium flare-residue and included the results about the

circumstances under which they could and could not be found and where,

in the final RCMP report on the case.

* Several conversations and correspondence occurred between

Oechsler and Constable De Haitre, all of which the Mountie,

naturally, recorded in his notes on the case.

*MUFON Ontario has recently acquired a 150 page package of De

Haitre's notes and correspondence from Oechsler to the RCMP. This

package will be published shortly, as an appendix, in The MUFON

Ontario Report on The Guardian Case.


End of Part 3.



I apologise for any confusion created by the Part/Post numbers - it's

the fuzzy Saturday Morning Syndrome!



Michael Corbin - via ParaNet node 1:104/422

UUCP: !scicom!paranet!User_Name

INTERNET: Michael.Corbin@p0.f428.n104.z1.FIDONET.ORG


Inquiries regarding ParaNet, or mail directed to Michael Corbin, should

be sent to: Or you can phone voice at 303-429-2654/

Michael Corbin


ParaNet Information Services